We currently don't have a full time pastor. Our pulpit is filled with supply pastors each week and occasionally by laypersons. We generally follow the Revised Common Lectionary and enjoy hearing the variety of interpretations of the Scriptures.
In order for the town of Freeport to be "set off" from North Yarmouth in the 1700s, it had to have enough families to support its own church. In 1774, a Meeting House was built on what is now Route One to begin establishing this church community. In 1789, Freeport requested a town charter and the church was formally established. The old Meeting House was taken down in 1818 and rebuilt as First Parish Church in the center of town where L.L. Bean now stands. After a fire in 1894, the parish community decided to rebuild, but moved down the street to where our present church now stands.
Since 1895, the newly rebuilt First Parish Church has been a significant presence in Freeport with deep ties to the communities around us. We have been active in providing ministry and humanitarian support to our congregation, to our community, and to many others, near and far. Our building is a National Historic Site, representing a connection to the town of Freeport that our congregation has been serving for well over 215 years.
We are a family-oriented, all inclusive church, accepting of all God's children. We invite those who are seeking to join us for worship and fellowship.
First Parish Church, UCC, Freeport ~ 40 Main Street ~ Freeport, Maine 04032 ~ 207.865.6022